Sunday, December 14, 2008

Fours Days Post Operation

It's four days post surgery and I'm starting to feel more like myself. I'm still really tired and spend most of my day sleeping in my chair but today I've been walking more and even eating!

I'm starting to hate the chair I'm sitting in. I didn't know I would be exclusively in a chair for recovery. I sat in this chair when I got home on Thursday and I haven't left since. I even sleep here. It's a Lay-z-boy recliner, and I must sleep sitting up. If anyone would have told me that I would suffer more from back pain than surgical pain I would never have believed them. But my back hurts! Thank goodness I'm getting stronger every day and I'm able to get up and walk around and change positions for a little while.

My other challenge has been my stomach. Again not in from the surgery but my appetite, or lack there of. It appears that my stomach is extremely sensitive and I haven't been able to eat much in the last four days and I've been fighting nausea hourly. Today has been the first day that I've been able to eat real food and avoid feeling sick to my stomach. I'm so relieved.

My surgical pain is relatively non-existent. I'm occasionally taking extra strength Tylenol but other than feeling tender, I feel really good.

I've learned a few things about myself during the last for days. I don't have a lot of patience and I don't do well sitting at home alone. So, I'm trying to embrace my challenges and use them to grow more. It's good for me to sit still and heal and the more patient I am with myself the faster my recovery will go.

I'm looking forward to getting the drainage tubes taken out on Tuesday and talking to the doctor to see how my healing is progressing.


No comments: