Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ice chips!

I like hospitals. I REALLY like them. I'm fascinated by all the action and the people who are there. Everyone has a story. Everyone.

I also like hospitals because they have ice chips.

Ice chips are the greatest invention. I've forgotten how much I LOVE them. When I had my babies I learned to LOVE ice chips. When you are nursing you get REALLY thirsty and they gave me ice chips and I soon discovered that there is nothing like ice chips to quench your thirst! I was sad to leave because I didn't have a fridge that made Ice chips...


I spent the majority of the day chewing on ice chips. Mmmmm...ice chips[in a Homer Simpson way]


To say I was nervous was an understatement. But it took most of the morning to get registered and ready for surgery so that helped keep me occupied.(Less time to think or worry)


Finally at noon the Doctor came to mark me.


That was a crazy experience. I had to stand naked from the waste up while he measured and marked my body to prepare for the surgery. As he was doing this I wondered if his marker was a "special" type of marker used only for this occasion? Is it antibacterial? I also wondered how many other people he used that marker on? What I remember most from that experience, besides standing naked and feeling embarrassed, was how much the marker hurt when he marked across my nipple.


Once he was done marking he said, "That is where your nipple is going to go.", and he pointed to a spot where a number of lines intersected and he had traced a rather large circle. It was pretty cool.

I like hospitals. I'm a freak I guess, but I love how they work. I'm fascinated that complete strangers show up and know who you are and where you are going. I think the system is sort of magical because it's so complex. Even when I was at admitting in the morning, I wondered how my paper work got there. How does it all happen? At a hospital you see many people walking here there and everywhere but they are all going somewhere. It's all a well oiled machine.(usually) There are people everywhere and you can't tell whose a doctor, or a nurse or a patient sometimes. I like to play a game where I guess what the person is doing there. Sometimes I try to imagine what type of procedure they are having done or I try to guess if they work there or not? It's interesting because I'm usually wrong.

I know hospitals are not always happy places. Trust me I've been there. But even when I've been at the hospital for sad occasions I am amazed and awed by it's magical abilities. Nurses appear, out of no where and doctors were suddenly present before we knew we needed them. Sure there were times when we had to wait because of an emergency but we did that without complaint because the next time WE could be the emergency.

I'm smiling. I'm breathing deep and I'm very happy that I faced my fear and had the surgery. I can't see the results yet because I'm in bandages from my waist to my neck. But I already feel lighter and happier. My self esteem has risen.

For now, I'm focused on allowing my body to heal and do what it needs to do. I'm trying to sit and breath and heal. That's my focus for the next few days and I'm feeling great so far. I spend most of the days sleeping.

And the support from my family and friends has been amazing. My partner has been so good, waiting on me hand and foot. I'm so grateful for him!

Yesterday I got some beautiful flowers from my co-workers and the card that came with it made me laugh. It said, "In loving Memory. Bye bye boobies Ha Ha...".







1 comment:

savia said...

I'm so happy for you that it went well and has been a positive experience so far. And I'm jealous I didn't think of your co-workers' card first! Let me know when you're up to it, because I would love to come visit you!