Monday, November 17, 2008

A Virgin In So Many Ways!

Alright. Here I am. At the computer doing something I've NEVER done before. I've always wanted to try blogging yet the fear of doing it wrong has always stopped me. But today I'm jumping in!

So where do I begin?

The purpose of this 'waxing' is to learn, grow and challenge, myself and perhaps(if I'm lucky)others. I set before myself some goals(which will remain secret for the time being). How far I have to go to reach them is yet to be seen, but perhaps along the way I could become a better story teller, learn some patience, and document my steps for posterity!

Currently I am training for Ironman. I have a three year plan and I have completed 1.5 years of my training. With the passion of a new lover I have completed three Tri-a-Tri's, three Sprint and one Olympic triathlon and I am currently working on getting ready for 9 races which include a couple of Half Ironman in the summer of 2009. What I lack in talent I make up with enthusiasm.[insert blush here] The final goal is to complete Ironman Canada in 2010 in under 13 hours. My love for this sport is boundless and it started with the first triathlon in 2007. I loved every grueling minute and marveled at the fact that my body(which was terribly out of shape)managed to complete the three legs of the race. It was the first thing I had done for myself in years. Triathlon was not about my children, or my job or even my lover. Triathlon was completely about me and the challenge laid out for my mind and body and they both rose to the occasion. The swim was awful, the bike was completely exhausting, and the run utterly pathetic but I was hooked and I have pursued triathlon with a single minded focus ever since.(Much to the dismay of those around me as I'm certain they are tired of my 'tri talk'.) I guess here is my safe place to plan, and dream and think without any eye rolling or yawning! Just stop reading if I'm talking too much.

Last night was the first night in the pool since the racing this summer. I noticed great improvement as well as a lack of endurance. I have a long road ahead of me. Swimming is fun, but I find it very difficult to know how to pace myself in the water. Happily, every time I swim I seem to improve and I notice I can swim for longer periods without feeling completely winded. "Baby steps". That's what I remind myself. Everyday is a step closer to being able to swim efficiently.

The bike is my favourite part of the race. My next obstacle is the purchase of the bike. Until now, I've been borrowing bikes from friends. After research and talking among other triathletes I've developed a love relationship with the Cervelo P3. My desire to own this bike is consuming. I've waffled between the P4 and the P3 for weeks but I think for my money and experience the P3 is the best choice. I'm still open to suggestions however, so the purchase isn't final. I will, however, include the Durace package. How does that sound for confidence!

Running. Ah yes, the run. Where the race is won or lost. I have a love hate relationship with running. Most of my life I have literally run everywhere. However, since having knee surgery it's not the easiest sport on my body. I was a sprinter and a hurdler in my younger days so the long distance running is new to me. But I'm learning to operate in third gear rather than first. Which brings it full circle back to the swim which is the same dilemma that I have with running. Learning to swim with a slow and sustained pace.

Finally, I confess my consuming obsession with this crazy sport called Triathlon. I share it with anyone who cares to read my musings. It's all I can think about. Here's hoping I can grow and challenge myself both during training and on my down time.




No comments: