Thursday, November 27, 2008

Training

I'm feeling uninspired these days. Both with the blog and with the training. I guess that's part of life, hitting a plateau. I'm not comfortable with any kind of stand still because I operate in 1st gear(or fast forward). I like my life to be full and busy, going from one thing to the next. So this period of 'blah'(for lack of a better word)that I'm experiencing is not so fun.

I love going to my work outs but it's takes at least 20 to 30 minutes before I get 'into' the work out and by then it's half over...wah, wah, wah! STOP I can't believe how much I'm complaining right now!

I just finished reading, 'It's Not About the Bike', by Lance Armstrong and I'm now onto 'Every Second Counts', again by Lance (and his writer helper, who's name I can't think of right now). Regardless of what you think about Lance and his ego or his personal life, he's a remarkable athlete and man. To overcome, first his young ego, then endure gruelling chemo therapy and finally the trials and tribulations of the Tour de France and win(eventually 7 times)is remarkable. Lance is honest and true about his strengths and weaknesses and his story is inspirational for anyone.

I've seen cancer up close and I've watched what chemo can do to a human body and it's not pretty. Chemo therapy is very similar to any type of endurance racing. The body is much stronger than we give it credit for, but the mind is what makes us resilient. How we attack each stage and deal with the adversity set before us is what makes us stand apart from the rest. How we deal with the affects of chemo can make all the difference.

While I was watching my father undergo his treatments I remember feeling like the chemo was trying to take is soul while the cancer was owning his body. He fought with dignity and courage but unfortunately he wasn't one of he lucky ones. He faced death and was not afraid. I admire him for that and I am grateful I could share that experience with him. It was a real gift and one that gives me strength and hope.

So, when I hear myself complaining(whining really)about a plateau or lack of energy, I can put it all into perspective and be grateful that I'm alive to experience life's imperfections. I hope to get stronger physically but mentally too. While I will never be in the Tour de France, I do have my own races coming up and I need to keep working and getting strong. I'm learning lots along the way.

The ultimate lesson for me is that it's all about focus and hard work. Of course one needs to have some natural ability, but I'm not out to win these races.(well not all of them[wink]) It's about having fun, loving what you do and shutting up and doing, even when you don't feel like it.

See it's working now. I didn't think I had anything to write about today.

No comments: